A statement on its own or styled with surrounding other cartilage piercings, a flat helix piercing is a gorgeous placement and is a great first cartilage piercing.
This guide contains information about flat helix piercings including the jewellery you can wear and pain levels as well as aftercare tips and healing times.
What is a flat helix piercing?
The flat helix piercing is located in the flat area of cartilage in the upper ear.
A flat helix can be pierced once to act as the centrepiece of a curated ear, or it might also be pierced multiple times in a random series or to imitate constellations.
How painful is a flat helix piercing?
On the pain scale, the flat helix ranks at about a 4 out of 10 varying from person to person.
What jewellery can you wear in a flat helix piercing?
Flat helix piercings are the perfect placement for studs. Make a statement with something big and sparkly or choose tiny dainty pieces if you’ve got more than one piercing in your flat.
You will be pierced with a longer stud initially to allow space for swelling before sizing down for a snugger fit when healed.
Jewellery for healed flat helix piercings
What is the aftercare for a flat helix piercing?
To ensure your flat helix piercing heals well, we would recommend the following tips:
- Gently clean your new piercing twice daily with a sterile saline solution - we love Neilmed piercing mist. Moisture can lead to bacteria so make sure you dry the area afterwards - the cool setting on a hairdryer works well.
- Take extra care when removing clothes and styling hair to avoid snagging the jewellery.
- Sleep on the opposite side of your piercing or use a donut travel pillow.
- Avoid swimming in lakes, pools or hot tubs for 2-3 weeks while the piercing is still fresh.
- Visit your piercer for a routine check up consultation around 6 weeks after. They'll check if you need to downsize the post of your stud - downsizing can help the healing process once the initial swelling has subsided.
- And lastly, leave it alone as much as possible and let the natural healing process occur.
How long does a flat helix piercing take to heal?
A flat helix piercing can take anywhere between 4-12 months to fully heal but this varies from person to person.
On the team we have found that a flat helix typically heals faster than a standard helix piercing because it’s slightly more tucked away so doesn’t snag on hair or clothing as easily.